Monday, December 12, 2011

An Amazing Moment

I know. I know. It’s been a long time since I have written in this blog. It seems like each year there are more hoops and or initiatives to jump through and less and less time for my own life, let alone a hobby. I am an inveterate writer who has become flooded with work. I think about writing all of the time, but do not have the time to entertain the stories and concepts I want to write about. Today I had several ideas to write about. I became adamant that I was going to write in at least one of my blogs today. Of course, this would be after school hours.

What was the best moment of today? Well, it had been a phenomena that I had heard about: everyone on task, digging deep into a book, a real page turner, but that’s not all: I was able to sit with the students, relax, and chill with them. I looked around several times and thought to myself, is this really happening? I was able to READ with them. No walking around checking to see if they are on task etc. This class was running on autopilot. I had students in reading chairs, students with their legs propped on chairs, and students reading on the floor. I also joined the prop-my-feet up agenda. The kids thanked me for a great class.

Tomorrow we will discuss the book. I did not want to interrupt their new found pleasure. Reading teachers try to get each student hooked on a good book or a good reading series. I saw the fruit of my labor today. I had so many kids appreciate the time given to devour their book that I am going home patting myself on the back!

No comments: