Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Marcus Freeman Will Never Be Forgotten!

On March 15th, 2011, North Port High School suffered a great loss: Marcus Freeman. While I was not his teacher, I knew of him. He had walked through my classroom during 4th period to use the interior restroom and or to get an item or two for his Honor English teacher Ms. Anderson-Moore. Today she told me about how he impressed her with his work ethics and that she found this paper today. “Marcus got a 97% on this! He used me as an example in his vocabulary test”, she cried. I cried too! I comforted her. I thought to myself. I have to write about this. I was amazed on how the whole school and community came together to honor such a precious student.

Here are my thoughts:
When the bad news came, teachers, staff, parents, and students cried, hugged, and clung to each other in classrooms and hallways all over the campus and in our community. Marcus was a significant individual who touched many lives in life and in his tragic and instant death. I know this because I asked my 10th grade students to write what was on their minds this past Friday. Most of them wrote about Marcus and the strong impact he had on their lives. Yes, they wrote about how life is something to appreciate and cherish, but mostly how they will miss Marcus. Many wrote that his life will live on through theirs and that he will never be forgotten! I also learned that he was an awesome athlete and student leader as I read. He was an encourager. He cared deeply about the popular and unpopular. I also learned that he was a spiritual person who was sensitive to the needs of many.

I am also reporting on the unity of our school and community as we pulled together to mourn and celebrate his life. On Friday, another student ran in his place for a track meet, and they honored him at this meet. And after the funeral at Biscayne’s church on Saturday, they came back to the football field at NPHS to celebrate his life. In addition, bracelets are being sold for $3.00 that say R.I.P. MAF 3-15-2011 to help the family with costs etc.

In short, NPHS and its community will miss Marcus Freeman. He has taught us a lot about ourselves through his life and death. MAF will be missed but never forgotten!

No comments: