Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Tough Decision Works Out Perfectly!

Today and during my 8th period, I had a student communicate to me about her absence in my class earlier. She was clearly upset. I had given classroom instruction about today’s lesson; thus, students were logged into FCAT Explorer, working, and compiling information for the FCAT Explorer evaluation exit activity at the end of our class. They also knew that if finished, they should read silently.


Well, I needed to talk to this young lady, and I could not do this in front of them. I also needed to listen. I made a decision! I went out in the hall with her, and I shut the door peering through the classroom window every few seconds or so. She poured her heart out to me for at least ten minutes. It felt like an eternity; her heart was broken, but I couldn’t find out why!


What was amazing was that my 8th period class must have understood that sometimes teens need to know that someone cares and is willing to listen. No, it was not the best time for this interruption, but it was necessary. When I walked in, they were all on task. I quickly asked them if I could take a picture of them for my blog! I was so proud of them and thankful. They exclaimed, “Yes!”


Of course, I saw that they were working, while I was checking via the window, but I could hear a pin drop when I entered. They were on task the entire time; they could not see me as well as I could see them. This illustrated the level of commitment they had towards their academic instruction too! Also, the amount of respect they gave us was admirable and genuine.


While crying students is a rare occasion where I work, I was so proud that my students understood and let me comfort her. I know that they know that if they are having a bad day, or they need someone to listen to them or talk to them, that I will be there for them. This awesome moment awarded my entire class an honorary class True Blue Award. It also reminded me that making a difference and the role of a teacher is quite demanding, unique, and rewarding!

No comments: