Saturday, September 3, 2011

Magical Moments #1- 9/3

Dear Readers,
I plan to write one entry a week. It should post by Monday evening each week.

This week I am writing about a magical moment that happened this week in my English 3 course. I was given the idea by one of our drama teachers to incorporate music into telling and reading Native American Folktales. I have to admit that at first I was thinking that my students would accuse me of going back to elementary school, which is where I first started teaching. Nevertheless, I trusted her and got the instruments yesterday morning before my first English class!

It was a hit in all three of my classes. They read the story and enjoyed using the instruments. It evoked a discussion about cultural, religious, and historical perspectives, which are objectives for this course. Once again, I saw bright-eyes, engaged learners, and adventure on my students' faces. It's the little things that can spark the interest for learning. Finally, they experienced it and that made the difference.

No comments: