Saturday, September 24, 2011

Highlights of an Engaging Week



#1- This week we practiced taking an online FCAT, as we prepare for the FCAT retakes. With no software to practice with as of yet, students open a pdf FCAT file I have linked to my website. They open a word pad document and adjust it to be on 1/3rd of their page. It is less than 30 days away. I don't want my students to fail because they are not used to reading the test online and typing notes instead of writing them. I hope that teaching them how to set up these practice tests will lessen their test taking anxiety and help them to pass this test. I mean really. How is it possible that we did not have practice software at the start of the school year? As usual, we do what we can and hope for the best. Changes are being made with little thought in regards to the people it will effect. Nevertheless, one must move on and try to remain hopeful.





#2I have been looking for ways to make vocabulary learning concrete. Too often students try to memorize the words the night before or as they are coming in the doors. I want them to learn the words and be able to use them in their future. I know this if they can write a sentence for each one using a context clue. No short-term multiple tests for me. This is a bear to grade, but it's worth it to me.




This week we I took teacher made quiz cards and allowed them to play the Kagan review game: Show Down. I put a neat spin on the game. For every time the WHOLE team was able to spell the word or write the definition, they got to wad up their papers and "shoot" them into the trashcan. I was telling them all week to get ready for the opportunity to make shots with their papers. Tell your team mates to study and get ready. It was a win-win.

No comments: