Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Late Work Conundrum Dilemma

There has been a debate going on for decades between teachers and administrators: should they accept late work? I think it goes MUCH deeper than this question. Isn’t about the students learning the content? If they need more time, should they be able to have it? If they decide to get on board, don’t educators believe in second chances? Does zeros promote responsibility? Do zeros motivate most students to achieve? Well, this week I found myself in the late work conundrum trap, but I am embracing it. It’s funny how rigid I used to be when I first taught. I am reaching far more student with understanding and love than I ever did.

This week I sent out 50 letters to parents and students letting them know that there is missing work and that it has to be turned in to show mastery in the content and skills for quarter one. I offered my services after school once again. I am sure that there will be several types of responses, both good and bad, but I hope that parents understand that the last thing that our students need is to passed on to another grade without gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to function in the adult world. It’s a lot of work for me to take late and missing work at the end of the quarter, but I am there to serve my students and parents. If that is what they need, I am willing to extend myself.

Some students need more time. They may or may not have put it off, but once they do decide to do it, I can go back in and change their grade. When a student does not complete their work, I believe there has to be a reason. There are many reasons; nevertheless, if they need more time, I will give them an incomplete on their report card until they complete it with mastery.
Folks, what does a zero do? It does a lot of things and none of it is good. None of it gives the correct message. Most high school students could care less about a zero, but what they do care about is if the teacher who has invested in them wants them to grow and succeed. If the teacher gets this across, one is more likely to get more work and growth from his or her students. Since I sent out half of my entire class load, I have a lot of work to do building relationships etc. I am not giving up! I will keep trying to reach them and help them to see the importance in what they are doing.

True, students are not adults and do not understand what they will need to be able to do when they get out there in the real-world, but parents and teachers do. In short, we are on the same side and want these teens to be successful both short and long-term.

You don’t have to agree with me on this. We can agree to disagree!

No comments: