Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Summer To-Do List: Teacher Leaders Work in the Summer

I have been getting a plethora of questions lately regarding whether or not I have fixed work hours this summer or if I am working at all. It’s a tough question to answer in casual conversation. I don’t think many people understand the heart and life of a teacher leader.

Here is a snap-shot of my summer log. In fact, it may resemble many other teachers around the globe. We work for our students and also to improve our subject area, the way in which we deliver our instruction, up-date our technology skills that keep changing, learn new standards and rules coming down from the legislature, the Department of Education, and the district. The list goes on, and it keeps us busy. A great amount of teachers take this a step further and volunteer to do other jobs that are essential to the school running. As the cuts continue, teachers are being asked to dig deeper. Some don’t need to be asked; they step up to the plate. These are teacher leaders.

THE LIST:

1. I begin with working on professional development for our school, which is a big job. True, I get paid very little for planning, preparing, and teaching PD opportunities, but it’s a passion that I have. I get to fill a need and be happy at the same time. It’s a win-win. I enjoy helping teachers improve their craft, as well as make it possible for them to earn recertification points. Yes, I have to put everything into a system, keep track of points, and verify all of it; but, it’s worth it. I hope to get a lot of things inputted before school resumes. This way my phone should ring less, and I will have more time for my students and to grade papers.

2. I am making 3X5 cards for each ACT word with the definition, part-of-speech, antonym, synonym, example, non-example, and a sentence using the word on it. I think I have 60 out of 300 cards done. I hope to have these laminated. This way my word wall can be interactive. I can also use these for fun review games that reinforce learning. Did you know that much of the research out there says students must come into contact with a word at least ten times, if not more, to learn it?

3. I am still waiting to hear my FCAT scores, so the next project was put on hold. I can no longer put it off. So Monday, I will be meeting teachers to work on planning and a homework booklet. Though we spent the last two-weeks of school hashing things out, we still have a lot of work to do!

4. I want to infuse even more technology into my classroom this year. I attended an Angelweb course this summer and plan to scan one of workbook resources in so their FCAT practice can resemble the new online 10th grade reading FCAT.

5. I am also hoping to have time to put together a list and maybe even a training on online test taking strategies. I have already sent out a few emails to reading retake teachers asking them what they have been doing to prepare their kids for the online Reading retakes. Do they have any flipcharts they can share? I am hoping they will be able to help us get a training together. All in all, what this means is that if teachers have not moved away from the traditional textbook type teaching class, they are in trouble. I am thankful that I have already using blogs for students to read, interact, etc. I use Gale library, an online library, in several class and homework activities. Students are getting accustomed to reading on-line text. I think I am head of the game or jumping through prehoops here! If you are a teacher, you know what I mean!

6. I am reading Heist Society by Ally Carter and writing test questions to put in to our district resource in Angelweb. Like Accelerated Reader, students can read a book and take a test on it. I need to write at least fifty test questions. I dislike this book immensely and will myself to finish this task!

7. I also would like to work on combining our English Department lessons and resources into one place. I did not volunteer, but secretly hoped I'd have time to help. We agreed on a Focus calendar and many other policies as a department. How nice will it be if a student is moved to my class that I will know what skills have been taught, what Coach lessons have been finished, and a writing portfolio with reading assessments will come with them! How awesome it will be that our grade books will start looking the same. I am not sure how far I will get with this last task, but it is in my heart and I hope to have it at least started.

8. Update my website by putting in all assignments for the 1st quarter in the My Calendar page, all ACT words and test dates for the year (I hope). I actually had to come back in here and add this in; how could I forget my website work?

I have been working on a lot of school projects over the summer, and I have a life too! I am a writer of three blogs, a grandma, mother, wife, sister, and friend to many. I am involved in leadership activities outside of school. I love the beach and playing Bunco. I am watching a house over the summer too. That’s two houses to keep clean…. Oh my! How is it possible? My passion for teaching, mentoring teachers, working with stakeholders, and the hopes to be a part of the reform of our education system keeps me going!

No comments: