Saturday, April 16, 2011

Best Practices in the Classroom (Pedagogy) VS. FCAT Testing Practice, Coaching, and Prodding

Talk to any student out there, and they will tell you that they hate the dry instruction associated with the approved FCAT practice/ teaching materials coming from the state and into their classrooms. Keep in mind, they are great resources and can be found on the FL Dept. of Education website. In fact, I have put a page on my school website for parent and student resources to use outside of class for practice. Yet, I refuse to use them in my classroom on a regular basis for many reasons.


This FCAT teaching, coaching, and practice prodding goes against what I believe and have been taught as an educator. When teaching in Michigan, there was little talk about which answers were missed by students taking the MEAP in meetings and lunch rooms.


I cannot express the importance of pedagogy that comes through a sound teacher education program! We cannot forget what we have been taught. We also cannot forget why we became teachers. For most of us, it is because a great teacher inspired us to learn, not take a stinkin FCAT test (forgive me). If a teacher teaches and knows the standards and content, they can have successful student gains. I must also interject that students must do the work at school. This means they need to come to school and work; they also need to do their homework and study. The teacher cannot do it themselves. I also believe that if the teacher makes their classroom relevant, the students will come, enjoy, and learn. If lessons stimulate student interests' and the teacher uses Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences in their lesson delivery and assessment choices, the students will be more likely engaged and not bored. This takes a lot of work, but it is worth it. High expectations are also necessary.

I attempt to base my classroom instruction and activities on best practices. These practices come from research. I do what I can to stretch or extend some FCAT lessons and put a best practice spin on it sometimes. I try not even use the word: FCAT! The pressures is building up. I have to stand on what I believe on and in; it's tough to be in a room where everyone else is giving FCAT practice tests the day before the FCAT but you. I think the day before the FCAT they are as ready as they are going to be. I spend that day building their confidence up by telling them that they are ready. This is not a lie. It is the truth. They need to hear it. Many of these kids have failed their FCAT reading test year after year. They don't think they can pass it! This system has created a body of students who do not believe in themselves because of strong arm FCAT consequences.

I use some resource materials that teach basic skills, like the textbook: COACH, but my job is to prepare them for the real world and not how to pass some stinking test (forgive me). Thus, I spend a lot of the year going over (reteaching) terms the kids need to know in order to understand the questions on the FCAT, but I will not bow to the FCAT god. I use data to determine which students need intervention. We practice fluency to build our reading stamina. This is because very few of my students read outside of class. I try to help them find an author, series, or topic they want to read and research about.

I worry that with the new legislation that teachers will become FCAT extremists. We need to remember what we learned in school and use it! Don't bow to the FCAT god; best practices work! Read this following article for more information on this topic and concern facing educations today from the blog: The Answer Sheet from the Washington Post!

No comments: