Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day of Silence 4/25/11

Dear Readers,

About a month ago, Invisible Children came to our school to update us on their progress in Uganda. We found out that they have been instrumental in stopping the fighting and injustices going there. They have also begun to raise money for "Schools for Schools", in which many children are getting a second chance. However, we learned that the fighting continues and is spreading to the Congo. They have no means of alerting the people when an attack or ambush is coming. I also learned that a billed was recently passed to help fund an alert system, which should help decrease the lives lost in this terrible unjust war.

The silence has already begun. I began this evening not talking at 7pm.


This nonviolent protest or "speaking out without speaking"will continue until 8 pm tomorrow night. I am doing this with my classes because of a cause we have become aware of. Below are pictures of classes who could not get into the auditorium to hear Invisible Children's presentation. They were on their seats and wondering how they could get involved.

Tomorrow, I will wear my Invisible Children t-shirt. I will not speak unless the office calls into my room. We will watch the movie: Invisible Children and take notes. At the end of the day, we will take a photo in the school courtyard to document this event.


I am excited about this event because my students are. They have been learning about injustices going on in the US and in the world. They are learning that they can make a difference. This is one way they can get involved!

To learn more about this cause and or how to get involved, click on the link below:

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/homepage.html

No comments: