Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blogging Extravaganza & Other Highlights!

Students are learning to blog quite well. They are becoming proficient in making posts, commenting, and working with many technologies. We are right inline with Sarasota Schoold District's IFC (Instructional Focus Calendar). This is just a selection of events from this week!

I have been infusing human rights and civil rights content into my blog. We have been working on critical thinking skills, as well as high level activities and questions from WEBBS Levels of Complexity and Blooms Taxonomy. I am learning that when I incorporate technology into my classroom the kids are more engaged. I am including a link though you cannot post a comment unless you are a member of the blog.

It's also been a great week because "Pocket Poem Day" was a success. My fusion classes prepared a Readers Theatre on the Elizabeth Barret Browning's Poem "How Do I Love Thee", otherwise known as "Sonnet 43".


We also worked on choosing which option we felt we would choose to stop genocide. These innovative projects will be done this Monday. Students had many choices to explain their option. They had to use Movie Maker software to illustrate a poem, song, essay, and or rap. They also had to include music in this project! Some kids were so tech savvy that they got this done in one class period!


We also participated in the Day of Silence, supporting Invisible Children in Uganda and the Congo!













Spirit was going on too! All in all, I am very proud of my students!

2 comments:

Carol said...

So proud of you and your students. Image the impact a teacher can make on the lives of so many students. You are teaching them how to be upstanders!

Ileana Reich said...

Thanks Carol, I hope you were able to watch the video: Genocide Debate I sent you. My students used my Iphone to create it. They debated to options in front of a mock president. I appreciate your support and praise!